Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yet another doctor visit

Yep, it was off to the doctor again today. But it was great. I'm finally off of IV's after a long 4 weeks. And my PFT's (pulmonary function tests) came back very good. My FVC (forced vital capacity) came back with an all time high of 51% of predicted. I haven't had a score that high in over 2 years. My FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second) came out at 35%. I usually hover around 31 or 32%. That may seem like a small difference, but 30% is when they like you to be listed for transplant. So I'm now further away, yahoo!. Also, FEV1 is the number they go by for qualification for a handicapped placard for your car. You have to have an FEV1 of less than 1.00liters. Mine is .99, so I just barely made it. I'm almost not handicapped any more, heee hee.
Oh, FEV1 shows how your large airways are working, your main stem bronchi and your trachea.
FVC is kinda like your lung capacity.
The only bad part was my FEF 25-75% (forced expiratory flow) is down to 12%. Yep, just 12. That shows what your actual lungs are doing, the small airways, like the lower and outer portions. So while my lungs show only 12% functioning, I am still able to do as well as I am.
They weren't happy that I lost a pound from last week. What's a girl to do?

Kelly and I then went to eat and to the mall in our new Prius, getting over 50 miles per gallon, and walked around. I did the whole mall with no oxygen and didn't walk any slower than normal. Only one coughing attack and it was a short one. Next thing you know I'll be jogging....maybe not!

So it's been a very good day. This weekend we are driving out to Michelle's house in Arizona.
It is sorta my implosion tactic to get over my fear of being out of reach of help. Wish me luck and hope I don't have an anxiety attack! We are only staying till Sunday morning then anxiety attack again on the way home. Kelly goes back to work on Monday, so I have to get used to being on my own. I think I'm ok really, but I guess we'll see!

So that's it. A very good day for me. Hope it was a good day for all of you!
Carrie, I'll see you next Wednesday! Merle too.

P.S. Check out USACFA.com Click on about us. I'm at the bottom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see your numbers are good. I am also glad to hear that you are feeling so good and ready for an enjoyable weekend away(it's not hot enough here????). When Kelly returns to work just try to relax and take it easy so you don't get anxious and put all of us who are near on speed dial if you need help. We will look forward to a great time at the cousin's lunch (I hope no one gets drunk at this one!) and my Mom and I will make sure you get there and back safely!
Have a great weekend at Michelle's.
See you Wednesday,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'm so glad to hear all the good news from your doctor's visit. You've had more comebacks than Cher! Now that I'm back online I can read your blog again. "Brian from India" wasn't as much help as he could have been, but just when I was going to call you back for help from Kelly, Jim walked in, did a couple of things in about two seconds, and it worked...to heck with "Brian." As there is nothing to report on the movie front, guess I'll see you at the cousins' luncheon for our usual riotous time!
Cousin Merle
p.s. - Carrie's driving