Wednesday, August 09, 2006

nerves of steel?

Last night and today I had adventures all by myself. Last night I went to the grocery store alone. I was nervous and more so when I realized I forgot my cell phone. The shopping part was ok, no rush, took my time. When I got to the check out line I was the only one there, cool you'd think. But no, then 5 or so people lined up behind me. So I'm trying to hurry, but bending over the cart to take the stuff out, putting it on the belt, trying not to let my 02 smack into the junk in the isle, trying not to use my arm with the IV in it...I was so out of breath. Then I paid and out I went. Putting the stuff in the trunk...a little hard. Then I came to the 12 pack of sprite. They put it down under the cart. I can barely squat down and get back up with the 02 on my back. And now I have to lift a 12 pack of soda? So down I go, I really struggled to get up, didn't think I'd make it but I did. Yea me!!!
I did leave it in the car when I got home for Kelly to get. That along with the other heavy stuff that didn't have to go in the fridge. Thanks hunny!

Then today, the dentist. I started getting nervous on the way there. What if they tilt me back too far and I can't breathe? What if the shot of novacain makes my heart race (it always does for me) and that makes the blood flow too fast and I break a vein or artery? What if.....

But it all went ok. I didn't let them tilt me too far. I did panic a few times with the water in my throat, just felt too drowning, like, well you know. But the shots didn't make my heart race, maybe it already was so I didn't notice the difference:) This is such a good dentist. The shots didn't even hurt except one or two times. So, whew, made it thru that!

After that, Kelly and I went car shopping. As of tomorrow we will be the proud owners of a Toyota Prius. Our payments are sky high cuz we were upside down on the truck, but the higher payments and gas will still be less than the truck payments and gas. And we'll be good for the environment! Yea us!

Lastly, I sometimes just want to hit people. Someone at Kelly's work actually ask him if he was now on vacation. Yes I'm doing better, no I'm not able to do all the stuff I used to and frankly I'm paranoid about being alone. I'm trying, that's why I had my adventures, but what a jerk. It's the way he said it, like accusatory. Yep, my wife almost kicked the bucket, so now we're on vacation, living it up! With no pay check for now I might add. Jerk. I feel good, but I can't imagine all this time being home alone. I'd be a basket case. Maybe I still am but more so!

I do have a good news item. We actually got approved right away for the hospitalization at San Antonios and at St. Josephs. Wow, they actually figured I should have been in the hospital this time with no arguments? Cool. Guess that's it. Off to do IV"s again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your shopping adventure went well. Small steps, take your time! We have friends who bought a Prius when they first came out and they really like it. I don't think gas prices are going to go down again, so it's a win, win situation! Enjoy your "Vacation" time with Kelly (some people just don't get it, or just don't care) and don't listen to what other people say, they will never understand what you go through on a daily basis. I hope to see you at the cousin's lunch, we will be glad to pick you up if you want (be out at the curb with your thumb out!!!).
talk to you soon!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! You really are puttin' yourself out there on the adventure highway, alright -- I'm so glad to hear that everything has gone so much better than you were anticipating (i.e., shopping, dentist visit, and the added bonus of swift insurance approval for your hospitalizations.) Yaaay! Your anxiety over being alone is so very understandable. Your trial trips in setting out and about on your own are truly the stuff of personal courage ... But then, you are a woman of immense courage and amazing fortitude. Kelly exemplifies his own brand of courage, too, watching you (and praying for you) as you head off on your own; as well as wading through poorly-worded comments and the misconceptions of others.


xoxo, Kim