Monday, December 18, 2006

More transplant stuff

So I said I would get the results on Wednesday of last week as to whether or not they accepted me as a person for transplant and listed me. Well, I still haven't heard about that. I was told to go forward, meaning have more tests. So this past Friday, I had to go back to USC and have an EKG and Echo and a right heart cathater.

The same as last time, there were many problems, from where I was supposed to go, to what time, to when the procedures were and in what order, to even what procedures I was having.
It was all very frustrating and I almost walked out. I was there at 7, ended up having the procedure at 11:30, and then the echo and EKG after that. It was a mere 15 1/2 hours with no food and water. Not good for a diabetic or for someone with CF. We had to force them to put me on glucose so I didn't crash.

They also put me in a room with other people. Bad for germs and me. But they insisted the people were only there for out patient surgery and weren't sick. The second guy they put in my room was throwing up mucus....now tell me he isn't sick. I'm still waiting to see if I get something!

This whole process has been so bad with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing that it terrifies me to have actual surgery there. If we are accepted on the list and then meet with the surgeon, I guess we'll talk to him and see what he says. I do have the right to go elsewhere, even to be listed at two places, but the insurance won't pay for another round of evaluations and that is a huge cost. I don't know if I'll stay at USC or not. They are supposed to be a top notch hospital, but from what we've seen it is awful. Clear down to they've got rid of the cleaning staff. You should see how dirty it was.

Outside of this, I've been not feeling well at all. I've been on IV's for about 10 days now and not feeling any better. Today I had a small bleed. The med's I'm on make you have fatigue, muscle pain, diarrhea, cramps, headache and no appetite. I've lost 3 or 4 pounds so far. I'm trying to keep up but not making it. Liz helped me with the housework and that helped a lot. But between doctors and dentist appts., guests at the house a few times, wanting to decorate, getting up early for USC, having hair and nail appointments (can't not go to those!), going to an xmas program.....it seems endless. I started my Christmas shopping tonite. I got one person done, yipee. Only 5 more and grab bag to go!

Man, I hate feeling this way. Today I was very sad and tearful. I feel like crud, but the possible fix seems worse. I bled and worry that it will continue. It seems to never just come once. I just hope I'm off IV's before Christmas so I can get the med's out of my system and feel better, or at least have more energy before the holiday. I'm looking forward to Christmas, I love it!

So that's it for now. Think I'll try to get some sleep. If I don't get back to the blog before, have a Happy Christmas everyone!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas to you too. I have just farewelled my thirteen year old grandson to have his checkup at the Children's Hospital at Westmead (Sydney).He's not feeling so good at the moment - maybe its the end of the school year and the Australian heat getting to him. I suspect it may mean a "tune up" in hospital in the near future.
Hope you soon get the results you desire.
Anne

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you too... You're one present ahead of me. Take care of yourself.
Love,Cambria

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
While I was reading you blog, you emailed me, so had to stop and read you email (bragging about the email Christmas test results! Ha!), then back to your blog. Glad your getting your ducks in a row even if it's frustrating at USC. Hope your going to start feeling better soon. See you Christmas Eve, which is coming right up.
Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

Well i'm sorry to hear about the tough stuff going on with USC screening process for your transplant. I could share similar stories.But won't because it only serves to stirrup fear and not hope . What I want to say is this keep your focus on the goal which is to live in abundance. "Which most assume it's a monetary idea" I believe it is a life that needs to be lived not weighted down in pain or fear. Just one transplant lister to another. Please feel free to email me. Merry Christmas