Tuesday, May 16, 2006

owie!!!

This could have been a really great blog. It could have been full of drama and crisis. It could have been a really great story. You see, I woke up Monday morning in so much pain I couldn't sit up. Or let me rephrase that, I didn't try. I was sleepy. It was dark out and I hurt so bad in my left lower rib cage area. No matter how I tried to lay it hurt. But you know me, I went back to sleep any way. When I woke up later it still hurt, a lot. I took a hot shower, it didn't help. I took ibuproen and bextra (yes I'll now have a stroke). It didn't help. So finally I gave in and called the doc's because I didn't know if it was my lung or my muscle.
Well, they never called me back. I went out with Kelly Monday night and as long as I sat very still and didn't say much, it didn't hurt.

Well, Tuesday morning it still hurt, a lot. The doctors office called about 11. They said to come in and have an x-ray. It could be a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) or a cracked rib (never thought of that) or a muscle.

So I drove out and got Kelly from work so he could help me walk from the doctors office to the x-ray building and back. It took forever since I didn't have an appt. But it could have gone something like this. Oh no, get to ER now. You have a pneumothroax, you need a chest tube now. So they cut a spot between my ribs and shoved the tube in. It hurt more than all 12 children I had....

Oh, that didn't happen. But it could have been like this. You have 3, no 4, no FIVE cracked ribs. Are you sure you coughed that hard or did you have a fight with someone? No? Then your osteoporosis is so bad we are going to put you on strenous weight lifting soon as your ribs heal but for 5, no 6 months you can't do anything that could cause the ribs to further break and puncture a lung.....

Ok, that didn't happen either. How about, we can't see anything wrong with your lungs or any cracks on your ribs. You probably sprained, yes sprained a muscle while coughing in your sleep. I say,"I don't cough in my sleep." My husband is behind me betraying me with a shaking head, "yes you do." So take something for pain and go home. I got a perscription for a pain killer, that isn't working by the way and went home. All this took from 12 when I left the house to 6:30 returning home. I'm whoooped. Yes, that really did happen.

See, weren't the other stories better? Not very fun to happen, but more fun to write about! And I was finally going to get my hair done today. ERrr. So the pain patch they gave me is helping a little with the strong stabbing pain, but is not helping with the constant pain. And since I know I'm holding my self weirdly because my back hurts, now my back on the other side is hurting. I give up! I think they should have given me a muscle relaxer. That would probably help more.
Oh well, didn't think of that while I was there. Just felt stupid for even going in. The doctor was very nice and assured me I did the right thing because on the phone we couldn't tell what it was.
Ok, so I'm only a half of a goober. Think I'll have to pay the guy who lugged my 02 around for me all day and missed half a day of work?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol,

I just stumbled across your blog tonight, while passing time at work. Of course, I immediately read through all or your posts and almost instantly related to you and your husband. My fiance and I are both in our mid thirties and she also has CF. I would love to write all of my thoughts down but I am afraid that there is not room. However, through my fiance's support group www.MPDCI.org, we have met two transplant recipients that are 7 years or more post transplant and are leading great lives. If you visit the site, you will find some posts in the message board from Mark Gammon. I would encourage you make contact with him. Not only did he have a lung transplant, he followed that up with a kidney tansplant. The neat thing about these blogs and the net is that there are 1000,s of people that have the same thoughts and experiences and even though we have never met, we are with you 100%. Good luck and keep going.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cousin,
What wonderful comments from "anonymous" above, and how very encouraging. This is more of that positive, good stuff that helps to shift perspectives. The mind/body connection is a strong one.

Sounds like you were having a hard time with pain, to be sure; and I'm glad you went in to see your doctor. No goober are you!

Lots of love to you,
WA Kim

Anonymous said...

Carol,

Well, nothing like a good, old car-chat to clear things up, is there. We didn't settle world affairs, but got some other things said and done! Girl things, that is. No boys allowed!!

Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

I bet your husband still enjoyed having a half day off work. Exam rooms are so much fun to hangout in!
#1Fan

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,

Today I checked in to your blog to see how you are doing. I'm always reminded of your humor, wit and tenacity when I hear from you. Our family is praying for you to get get better and stronger soon, so you can become more active, seeing your friends (and those of days gone by.) -- the Staffieris