Sunday, April 02, 2006

The story of surgery...boreing

Well, it's been a long time since I've felt even remotely like being on the computer. I sure have a lot of email and phone calls to catch up with. Thanks for anyone who called wishing me well with the surgery. After a bit of confusion, it went well. When I first got to the doc's office, the one I talked to on the phone (and who wasn't there) had the nurse tell me that she wanted me to go in the hospital till I was not as sick and then have the surgery. She didn't want me at home in case I bled out basically. But I refused to go in the hospital for countless days because of a nasty cold which could take weeks to get better. I'd lose my ever loving mind! So the doctor that was in the office came in at the request of the nurse and he made a few calls and set the surgery up for that same day. Guess he thought it didn't matter if I was sick. Two doc's, one office, two very seperate opinions. Makes it confusing sometimes. Anyway, checked in around noon on the 28th and had surgery at 3.

The first time I had this surgery was very difficult thing. It lasted about 2 hours. I didn't have much in the way of drugs because they talk to you during the surgery, hold your breath, turn your head... There was no pain during the surgery, but after, oh my gosh. You can't move for several hours, and when I finally could I had to high tail it to the bathroom after like 9 hours.
I thought I was going to die. My leg hurt so much where the inserted the instrument into the femoral artery. I have never felt such pain...well, gall stones, kidney stones...ok, you get it.
Plus during the surgery I guess my sats dropped (for you non medical folks, that is when my system wasn't getting enough oxygen to my blood) and they had to put me on 02.
The leg and the 02 problems lasted for about 2 weeks. I was really scared. I use 02 to sleep or for walking long distances or when I don't feel good. But that time I couldn't even sit in a chair without panting for breath. I was honestly ready to say, ok let's do the transplant thing, I felt so bad. But it eventually resolved itself and I definately now know what my limit is for saying ok to a transplant!

This surgery was very different. It lasted 4 hours. The first shift of people kept me very drugged, which was fun. But after two hours I guess it was shift change and the new lady was not as fun as the guy. I started being in a lot of pain. I kept telling them, but they didn't really respond. They gave me versed which didn't help. Before it was fentanal? Anyway, finally 2 hours later I told them if they were going to continue, they were going to have to give me some very good drugs. They quit.

The first surgery they only embolized 3 arteries. This time they re did the arteries and the doctor said he lost track of how many veins. But he said there were many more he could have done. We hope this will do the trick and I don't have to go back. The first surgery they were amazed at how large my artery was, said they've never seen such a large artery. The CF doc said if they hadn't fixed it, soon we'd be attending my funeral. Well that was fun to know!

So, spent the night, got some good pain killers one time...more confusion, you can have them, no you can't....and went home on Wednesday afternoon.

No comments: